Facelift Procedure Process Explained
Using his advanced skill and artistry, Dr. Schoemann continuously helps his patients from Carlsbad achieve a younger-looking appearance by providing beautiful, natural results. He understands that every patient is different and unique and treats them as the individuals they are. That is why he customizes every facelift procedure to reach each one’s unique cosmetic goals.
When you meet with Dr. Schoemann for your initial constitution, he will work with you to ensure you are well-informed and confident about your choice for facelift surgery. He will take time to perform a full examination of your face, talk to you about your areas of concern, listen as you describe what you hope to achieve with a facelift, and discuss the different surgical options you have for surgery.
What Should I Do in Preparation for a Facelift?
Before you visit Dr. Schoemann for your facelift, you will check somethings off some things on your pre-op checklist to prepare:
- Be sure you have a ride to and from your appointment, as you will not be allowed to drive yourself home after your facelift.
- Understand your financial responsibility and talk with our team to establish a payment plan or apply for financing if needed.
- Make changes to any prescription medications you take on a regular basis, as directed by your primary care physician or Dr. Schoemann.
- Stop using tobacco products at least 2 weeks before your facelift.
- Avoid aspirin and other anti-inflammatory over-the-counter pain medication that could lead to excessive bleeding during surgery.
- Ask local friends and family ahead of time to help you during your recovery, as you will need to rest as much as possible as well as avoid lifting heavy objects for some time.
- Before your facelift, Dr. Schoemann will provide you with prescriptions that you should have filled prior to your day of surgery. This will ensure you do not experience too much discomfort from not having pain medication.
How Long Does a Facelift Procedure Take?
Every facelift procedure is performed in our on-site, AAAASF-accredited surgical facility. This cutting-edge center allows Dr. Schoemann the ability to perform surgery as efficiently and effectively as he would if he were in a traditional hospital setting. Depending on the surgical technique used for your facelift, the procedure could take between 2-4 hours to complete. During your consultation, Dr. Schoemann will provide you with a more precise time frame for your specific surgery.
What Does Getting a Facelift Feel Like During Surgery? Is It painful?
Most facelift procedures are performed under general anesthesia, and patients are monitored by licensed anesthesiologists at Schoemann Plastic Surgery Center. Because this type of anesthesia is used, the facelift surgery itself is not painful, as general anesthesia not only puts patients to sleep, but it ensures they do not feel anything during surgery either.
While you will not feel anything during surgery, it is important to remember that you may experience minor discomfort during your recovery. For this reason, Dr. Schoemann strongly suggests that his patients have their pain medication prescriptions filled before their day of surgery. This will ensure you are able to begin taking it as soon as possible, and that you will be able to maintain a dosage schedule and stay comfortable.
What Should I Expect, in Terms of Recovery, After My Facelift?
Patients from Carlsbad should expect their initial facelift recovery to take between 10 and 14 days, depending on the surgical technique used. Within this time, minor bruising and swelling may be present on your face. After this subsides, and once you feel up to it, you may resume your normal daily activities. However, you may not see your final results for several months as your face continues to heal.
How Long Will the Results Last? Is There a Chance I’ll Need to Get Another Facelift in the Future?
While the facelift procedure produces long-lasting, beautiful results, it is important to point out that the results will not last forever. Because aging never stops, your face will continue to age after your facelift. You will still look very good for your age, but you may need a minimally invasive touch-up procedure in the future if you become unhappy with your appearance again.
There are steps you can take to improve the longevity of your facelift results. To get the most out of your results, be sure to control the following:
- Sun Exposure
- Tobacco use