About Facial Feminization
Facial feminization surgery (FFS) at Schoemann Plastic Surgery in Encinitas, CA focuses on surgically revising the features of the face from masculine to feminine. Many transgender patients find that having this procedure is an important part of their transition. Male facial features, like the short brow, Adam’s apple, wide jaw, and a hard-lined facial profile all show masculine features naturally. With an experienced plastic surgeon, there are surgical procedures that can soften masculine jawlines, reduce the size of a bulbous Adam’s apple, recontour the cheeks, and much more with facial feminization surgery.
If you are looking for a surgeon to perform FFS, our board-certified and fellowship-trained plastic surgeon, Dr. Mark Schoemann, has the knowledge and skill to combine a group of facial plastic surgeries that can create smaller features with softer lines and much more. The procedures that are most commonly included in facial feminization surgeries are:
- Adam’s apple reduction (tracheal shave)
- Brow lift
- Cheek augmentation
- Chin recontouring
- Forehead recontouring (hairline correction)
- Jaw contouring
- Lip lift and reshaping
Facial feminization surgery is a highly personalized procedure for patients over the age of 18. If you are ready to proceed with FFS, you will need to be in great physical and mental health to endure the combination of surgeries required to fulfill your aesthetic goals. Dr. Schoemann will have an in-depth consultation with you in his office. To not only get to know you better, but the consultation is also a time Dr. Schoemann gathers information about how you see yourself, what you would like to change, what your expectations are with FFS surgery, and examine your facial structure to see what the possibilities are in changing your appearance. Your facial bone structure, hairline, weight, skin elasticity, and medical issues will also be discussed as they are contributing factors to your candidacy. Dr. Schoemann will decide what surgical strategies and techniques he can use to perform your transformation surgery.
There are a variety of surgical procedures that you may qualify for when inquiring about facial feminization surgery. You may only desire to change on aspect of your appearance or require a combination of procedures to achieve the appearance you want to present as a woman. Here is a list of FFS surgical possibilities:
- Adam’s apple reduction: Also known as a tracheal shave, Dr. Schoemann carefully removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple
- Brow lift: A browplasty raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear arched shape
- Cheek augmentation: The mid-face can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong
- Chin recontouring: A genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while creating a rounder shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: A feminine hairline tends to be lower so a forehead reduction (also called a hairline lowering, scalp advancement, hairline correction, or forehead recontouring) moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: For a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder
- Lip lift and reshaping: To adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip is reduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer
- Rhinoplasty: To make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of your face
What to Expect
Your FFS can be performed under a general or local anesthesia, depending on the procedures that are included in your customized treatment plan. Dr. Schoemann will typically perform the chosen procedures at Schoemann Plastic Surgery Center’s fully accredited surgical facility, using minimal incisions in less visible locations to improve the final result. You may be able to go home after your surgery but could be kept for observation for 1 – 2 nights, depending on what treatments were performed. Before you go home, a member of our team will schedule you a follow-up appointment and go over incision care and recovery instructions (including when you can return to work and exercise).
Soft Feminine Results
Dr. Schoemann is passionate about providing the comprehensive results you desire. We want you to feel a part of the treatment planning by having a say in the process by consulting with Dr. Schoeman. He will meet with you one-on-one in his office, listen to your plastic surgery requests, and provide feedback on how you want your facial features to look.
If you feel that facial feminization surgery is an aesthetic avenue you would like to explore, we invite you to schedule a consultation at Schoemann Plastic Surgery in Encinitas. During this appointment, you can expect to feel heard and understood as we create a customized treatment plan to help you transition with beautiful, natural-looking results. Contact us today at (760) 487-2520 or by filling out our online form.