Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS) is a complex treatment that can involve many different procedures, with the goal of surgically revising a patient’s features to be more feminine. For many transgender individuals, this is an intimate step during their transition process.
At our practice in Encinitas, CA, our board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. Mark Schoemann is committed to learning about each candidate for FFS and ensuring that he and his staff are supportive during this highly personal experience. Dr. Schoemann meets with each client to understand their specific expectations regarding the facial feminization process, and to examine their facial structure in order to best understand the options that are available in order to alter their appearance.
What Procedures Can Be Performed During Surgery?
Facial Feminization Surgery can include one, some, or all of the following procedures:
- Adam’s apple reduction (tracheal shave) – removing thyroid cartilage from the neck
- Brow lift – raises and reshapes the brow area
- Cheek augmentation – cheeks can be made fuller with implants or fat transfers or made thinner by removing fat
- Chin recontouring – reduces the width and height of the chin to create a rounder shape
- Forehead recontouring (hairline correction) – moves the hairline lower to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring – the jawbone is shaved to achieve a narrower, rounder shape
- Lip lift and reshaping – lips are proportioned using a lift and fat transfer to appear more feminine
- Rhinoplasty – length, width, and projection are typically reduced to best fit your new facial proportions
While it may seem overwhelming to consider so many operations simultaneously, it is very common for these procedures to be performed at one time, or sometimes broken up into two separate surgeries – one for the top portion of the face, and a second surgery for the bottom portion of the face. Depending on the number of procedures you will be having, it is entirely possible to have them at once.
During your consultations with Dr. Schoemann, he will create a treatment program based on the procedures you want to undergo for your facial feminization surgery. Our goal at Schoemann Plastic Surgery is to make you feel comfortable and confident in your appearance.
In order to prepare you for surgery at our comfortable surgical facility in Encinitas, Dr. Schoemann will make sure you are in excellent physical and mental health. Depending upon what treatments you receive, you may be able to return home after surgery, but there is also a possibility you may be kept for 1-2 nights to monitor your recovery. Additionally, small incisions in less visible locations will be used to minimize the risk of scarring once you have healed.
Dr. Schoemann is passionate about delivering comprehensive results that align with your aesthetic goals to achieve the perfect feminine look that is right for you. To schedule a consultation, call our office in Encinitas at (760) 487-2520.